Yorkville University Scholarship Application, Requirements & Apply – Yorkville University (YU) is a private, non-profit institution in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. YU offers undergraduate programs at the bachelor’s degree level and graduate degrees at the master’s degree level. The school was founded in 1891 and is accredited by the Canadian Association of Universities.
YU is home to over 6,000 students enrolled in its various programs. Students come from across North America and from countries including China, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Taiwan, Trinidad & Tobago, United Kingdom, and the United States.
Students may apply for scholarships based on academic merit, financial need, leadership qualities, community involvement, and special circumstances. Scholarships are awarded annually to incoming full-time first-year students and transfer students.
Scholarship applications must be submitted online through the YU Scholarship Portal. Applications are due each spring semester.
Yorkville University offers scholarships to students who demonstrate academic excellence and leadership potential.
Available Scholarships at Yorkville University
There are three types of scholarships offered by Yorkville University: merit-based, need-based, and special awards.
Merit-based scholarships are typically based on factors like GPA, test scores, extracurricular activities, etc. Need-based scholarships are awarded based on financial need.
1. Merit Scholarships
These scholarships are awarded based on an applicant’s academic performance and achievement. They may be renewable each semester.
2. Need-Based Scholarships
Students who qualify for these scholarships must complete certain criteria such as maintaining a minimum GPA, completing community service hours, and participating in school events.
Need-based scholarships are often better because they give students who qualify more money than those who don’t. However, there are some exceptions. Some universities award need-based scholarships only to certain groups of applicants (i.e., athletes). Others offer need-based scholarships to everyone.
3. Special Awards
These scholarships are given to students who excel in specific areas such as athletics, arts, music, and drama.
Scholarships are great ways to help students pay for college tuition. They’re usually awarded based on academic achievement, financial need, and community involvement.
Regardless of whether you apply for a need-based or merit-based scholarship, be sure to fill out the application completely and accurately. Don’t forget to include required documents, like transcripts and letters of recommendation.
If you’re applying for a merit-based scholarship, try to find one that matches your interests and goals. For example, if you plan to major in biology, consider applying for a scholarship that supports this field.
Also, remember that many scholarships and the Yorkville University scholarship require you to attend school at least half-time. So if you plan to work full-time during the summer, you may be unable to take advantage of these awards.
Yorkville University Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must be enrolled full-time at Yorkville University (or any accredited college/university) during the fall semester. Students who graduate from Yorkville University in May yearly may apply.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Applicants must be between 18 years old and 25 years old when applying
- The applicant must not hold a criminal record
- The applicant must not be currently incarcerated
- Applicant must not be convicted of a felony
- The applicant must not be declared mentally incompetent
- Applicant must not be deemed ineligible due to financial need
- The applicants must not be considered public assistance recipients
- Applicants must not be listed on the Department of Homeland Security’s No Fly List
- Applicants must not be subject to deportation proceedings
- The applicant must not be on probation or parole
- Applicant must not be required to register as a sex offender
- Applicants must not be prohibited from entering Canada
- The applicant must not be a member of the Canadian Armed Forces
- Yorkville University must not employ the applicant
- The applicant must not be married to another applicant
- The applicant must not be pregnant
- Applicant must not be the parent of a child born after December 31st, 2016
- The applicant must not be able to attend classes at Yorkville University
- The applicant cannot be enrolled in a degree program at Yorkville University
- Applicant must submit proof of enrollment at Yorkville University
- Proof of enrollment includes official transcripts from Yorkville University, and any other colleges/universities attended
- Transcripts should include the student’s name, date of birth, major(s), grade point average, and contact information
Applicants must complete the application form online—application deadline: is January 15th yearly and applications received after this date will not be accepted
Application fee: $30.00
Scholarship award amount: $1,000.00 per academic year
5 Tips for Winning a Yorkville University Scholarship Application
Scholarships are great ways to help students pay for college tuition. But many scholarships require applicants to submit essays and letters of recommendation. So here are five tips to help you win a scholarship:
- Start early. Scholarships often go to those who apply early. And if you’re applying for multiple scholarships at once, it helps to apply early for each one.
- Write a strong essay. Scholarship applications usually ask for personal statements describing yourself and why you should be awarded the scholarship. Be honest, but keep it short.
- Get recommendations. Most scholarships require you to include letters of recommendation from teachers, coaches, employers, etc. Ensure these letters are written well and include details about your character, leadership skills, work ethic, etc.
- Follow the rules. Many scholarships require you to complete certain activities (like volunteering), meet certain requirements (such as attending school regularly), and maintain certain grades. Don’t forget to follow the rules!
- Keep track of your progress. Track your progress toward meeting the requirements of any scholarships you receive. This will help you stay motivated and focused.
If you need extra motivation to apply for scholarships, consider this: According to the National Association for College Admission Counseling, only 1 out of every ten students applies for a federal student aid program. The average award amount for a federal financial aid program is $7,500 per year.
And remember, plenty of scholarships are available outside the federal government. Check out our list of over 100 private scholarships worth thousands of dollars.