The Study-In-UK: 2024 Tarbell Fellowship Program For Early-Career Journalists is a year-long fellowship for up-and-coming journalists interested in reporting cutting-edge technology, particularly AI.
Each fellow spends 9 months working in a major newspaper, meets with a study group to discuss artificial intelligence’s governance and technical basics, and visits Oxford for a 2-week journalism summit.
The Tarbell Fellowship offers a monetary award of up to $50,000 to cover the costs of such internships.
The program of study includes lectures from industry professionals, constructive criticism and guidance from veteran journalists, and opportunities to mingle with leaders in the artificial intelligence field.
Upon completing the fellowship, fellows will be expected to contribute their impact-oriented viewpoint to major newsrooms and publications worldwide.
The Study-In-UK: 2024 Tarbell Fellowship Program For Early-Career Journalists will begin in January and end in December. The deadline to apply to join the class of 2024 is October 15, 2023.
Also Read: 10 Best Summer Jobs for High School Students
To be considered for the fellowship, you must:
- AI expertise. A keen curiosity about the social implications of AI. There will be a lot of fellows with backgrounds in tech journalism, machine learning research, and the regulation of AI.
- Passionate about journalism. Experience in a similar subject, such as law or research, or in the news industry is preferred but not required. To that end, we will give more weight to potential than experience when evaluating new journalists.
- Superb writing skills. Capacity to rapidly grasp the essence of a new subject and a flair for creative storytelling. The ability to write captivating content on short notice is a prerequisite for fellows. Doggedly persistent. The ability to doggedly pursue your goals and persevere in adversity. Fellows must be dedicated to their work and resilient in the face of setbacks.
- Open-minded. A willingness to learn the truth behind any tale, regardless of whether or not it agrees with one’s existing worldview. Fellows need to be able to take constructive criticism and see their weaknesses as opportunities for growth.
- Please apply and explain how your abilities and experiences differ from those listed above if you have what it takes to be a journalist.
Duration and Reward
- The Study-In-UK: 2024 Tarbell Fellowship Program For Early-Career Journalists provides 9–12 months of experience at a prominent newspaper specializing in AI coverage. Details on placement might differ across stores.
- Stipend. Depending on the specifics of the fellowship, fellows may earn up to $50,000 in stipends throughout their placement. We anticipate that stipends will range from $35,000 to $50,000 based on factors such as geographic area and individual merit.
- Extensive AI Education. Fellows complete a 2-month training curriculum on AI technical and governance principles before beginning their assignments. The time commitment every week for this online course is around 10 hours. Each session includes readings, partnered activities, and guest speakers.
- Oxford Summit. The fellowship begins with a two-week summit in Oxford. Guest speakers, seminars, and networking events will fill the schedule in Oxford and London over the next two weeks. All expenses related to travel and lodging will be paid for.
How it works
- Challenging. During their fellowship year, journalists-in-training will hone their craft and construct an impressive portfolio of their work.
- Fellows have to put forth extra effort to get expertise since the fellowship is not connected to any one news organization. Freelancing, internships at big news outlets, and other types of journalistic creation are all possible with the help of stipends.
- Full-time. The fellowship requires a significant time investment. As a highly competitive field, journalism is one in which fellows are expected to provide their whole attention.
- Remote. This is a completely distant fellowship. Because of this, we can invest in the next generation of journalists from around the world.
- Fellows are not required to relocate for this fellowship, although we highly recommend doing so. As a result, we plan to offer those fellows who are willing to do this priority in hiring and promotion.
Method of Application
Follow the application instructions for the Study-In-UK: 2024 Tarbell Fellowship Program For Early-Career Journalists in the linked document if you are interested and qualified.
Please apply and explain how your abilities and experiences differ from those listed above if you think you have what it takes to be a journalist.