NLNG Scholarship is a program that provides scholarships to Nigerian Languages students from all over the country who are studying any of the Nigerian languages. NLNG Foundation sponsors the scholarship (NGO), a non-governmental organization (NGO) registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission in Nigeria.
NLNG Scholarship Description and Overview
The NLNG Foundation encourages and supports Nigerian Languages students to study and promote their languages.
The program is open to any Nigerian Languages students in Nigeria who can apply online on the official website of NLNG Foundation (www.nlngfoundation.org ). The application usually runs from May to September yearly.
NLNG Scholarship program also has a Facebook page (NLNG Scholarship) and a Twitter account (@nlngstudents from all over the country interested in studying and promoting their languages.
NLNG Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Students will be selected in the NLNG Scholarship based on the following criteria:
- Student from any of the Nigerian Languages family or a language spoken in Nigeria;
- A student who is passionate about their language;
- A student who has an excellent academic background with evidence of excellence in the study of their language;
- Student who is a member of the NLNG Foundation.
Requirements for NLNG Scholarship
- A student who is interested in studying their language at the undergraduate level must have a minimum of five credits (including English) at WASSCE or its equivalent;
- A student who is interested in studying their language at the postgraduate level must have a minimum of five credits (including English) at WAEC/NECO or its equivalent;
- Student who is interested in studying their language at the Masters’s level must have a minimum of three credits (including English) at the bachelor’s level;
- Student who is interested in studying their language at the Ph.D. level must have a minimum of two credits (including English) at the Master’s level;
- A Student who is interested in studying their language for any other purpose must have a minimum of five credits (including English) at O’Level;
- A student who is interested in studying their language for any other purpose must have a minimum of two credits (including English) at A’Level;
- Students who wish to study their language other than those stated above must have a minimum of two credits (including English) at O’Level;
- Student’s language must be their mother tongue or the first language that they acquired as a child and which is still their language at home;
- The student’s language must not be the official or working language of any country in which they are likely to reside after graduation, nor the
The application form and guidelines are available on the website.
NLNG Scholarship Deadline
The application deadline can be anytime in February each year.
Awarding of the scholarship will be announced on the NLNG Foundation website and at the NLNG Foundation Secretariat.
The awardee will be expected to attend the annual National NLNG Conference and participate in activities organized by the NLNG Foundation throughout the years.
Check here for latest scholarships this year.
How To Apply For NLNG Scholarship
NLNG is a scholarship that many Nigerians dream about. However, the process of getting this scholarship can be difficult and time-consuming. There are six steps to applying for NLNG:
- Fill out the online application form
- Send an email to email@example.com for a hard copy of your application form
- Get a letter of recommendation from your school’s principal or guidance counselor
- Attach the letter of recommendation to your hardcopy application form and send it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wait for an email from Nigerian Scholarship informing you whether or not you have been accepted into the program
- If accepted, you will be required to pay a non-refundable acceptance fee of USD 150.00 within the first week of being notified that you have been accepted into the program
Benefits of NLNG Scholarship
Below are the benefits of the NLNG Scholarship
- The awardee will be given a sum equivalent to the cost of registration and accommodation at the National NLNG Conference held annually in Nigeria
- The awardee will be given a sum equivalent to the cost of registration and accommodation at the annual National NLNG Conference held outside Nigeria
- Awardee will be entitled to a tuition fee waiver for the duration of study in any institution recognized by National NLNG
- The awardee will be entitled to waive entrance examination fees at the institutions where National NLNG has approved programs
- The awardee will be entitled to a waiver of the application form and entrance examination fees at any institution recognized by National NLNG.
Seven (7) hacks To Note While Registering For NLNG Scholarship
Here are some things to look out for and avoid in the future.
- Do not submit your application late; submit your application on time. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Applications received after the deadline will not be considered for funding. The application deadline is usually around December or January, so submit yours before this.
- If you do not submit your application on time, you will not be considered for the scholarship.
- You can write an appeal letter if you cannot meet the deadline due to extenuating circumstances. However, if you do not submit your application on time, there is no guarantee that the scholarship board will accept your appeal.
- If you are denied due to submitting late, it could also mean you could not keep to the submission deadline during your university studies. It will be a negative mark on your record and may affect future scholarship applications.
- Never submit an incomplete application. Before submitting your application, make sure you have completed all the sections. Please be aware that applications with missing information will not be considered for funding.
- Awardees must report their activities and achievements at the end of every semester. You will be required to submit a report on your activities and achievements at the end of every semester, so ensure you have kept all your receipts and other relevant documents.
Applying for a scholarship can be intimidating, but it is worth the time and energy. Scholarships are typically awarded based on merit or need. If you have been denied, you may reapply in the next cycle.
We wish you all the best in your application and hope to see you as an awardee of this scholarship program.