Universities around the world have started giving asylum seekers scholarships to enable them to ease the burden of paying tuition fees. An asylum seeker is seeking protection in another country due to how they are treated in their home country. There are different reasons a person might seek asylum in another country. Most of the time, the reason is based on the threat to life.
The United Kingdom and the United States of America have committed to embracing this group of people and are offering to give them the protection they deserve.
To this effect, universities within these environments have started giving asylum scholarships to them to enable them to access education because they believe they have the equal right to attend schools like other people.
In this article, we shall bring you a list of schools currently offering asylum seeker scholarships. Some of them have already closed applications for 2022. However, inevitably, the 2023 applications are still available. We shall also bring to you the eligibility requirements of each school and academic qualifications where necessary.
Schools That Are Offering Asylum Seekers Scholarships
Below are schools that offers Asylum seekers scholarships:
1. Queen’s University Asylum Seeker Scholarship
Queen’s University offers asylum scholarships to registered asylum seekers in the United Kingdom. The approach is competitive, and not all applicants would make it.
The scholarship aims to provide displaced people who intend to continue their studies with scholarships to pursue their dreams.
For you to qualify to receive an asylum scholarship, you must first apply for the regular admission application for the current year to pursue an undergraduate degree at the University.
Once the applicant has been accepted into the undergraduate program, they can move ahead to apply for an asylum scholarship, meeting the criteria below:
- To be eligible for this scheme, you must be a registered asylum seeker in the UK and currently residing in Northern Ireland
- You must have limited leave to remain in the UK, be living with someone at the time of application, or have limited leave to remain due to an application for refugee status. If your guardian or parents have applied for asylum, you can go forward with your application
- You must not be eligible for student finance for the 2022/2023 academic year
- Must accept to be a full-time undergraduate scholar at Queen’s University
- You are required to meet any language requirements by the University. Commonly the language requirements are only the IELTS or any test of English that can substitute for it.
Value of Scholarship
The scholarship is required to cover the cost of tuition and every other expense that may come during your studies. The award amount is worth over £8,000. This award would be given year as a way to support the student. It would last till graduation.
Are you interested in this scholarship? Click HERE to apply.
2. Columbia University Scholarship for Displaced Students
The University of Columbia established this scholarship to allow displaced students to get into higher institutions and continue their studies.
One beautiful thing about this scholarship is that it supports students from all over the world. Everyone is welcome to apply for the scholarship.
Eligible scholars will receive a full-tuition scholarship and other essential things like accommodation and things they need to survive and live well at University. Accepted scholars would have the opportunity to pursue their undergraduate degrees across the 19 Columbian universities.
As the first-ever international scholarship, they are giving up to $6 million injected into the project just for the number of 30 students each year. This is to say that the scholarship is a very competitive one.
Are you interested in this scholarship? Click here to apply.
3. World University Service of Canada (WUSC)
The Student Refugee Program is a scholarship that qualifies asylum seekers to continue pursuing their education in the country. This is a non-profit organization. They only provide financial support that students might need in their studies for just a year.
The World University Service of Canada accepts applications from selected countries. These countries include:
Interested applicants who wish to apply must fulfill their requirements. They include:
- The applicant must be a refugee in one of the selected countries
- Must have completed their secondary school and must have official transcripts of educational documents
- Applicants must be 18-25 years old
- Must be fluent in English or French (oral and written)
- Applicants must be single with no children or strong family ties
- Eligible and ready for Canada’s Private Sponsorship of Refugees program
- Must be self-reliant and maintain a good sense of maturity
- Must be currently facing challenges to accessing education
Interested in this scholarship? Click here to apply
4. University of Sanctuary Scholarship
The UAE sanctuary scholarship was established with the growing number of asylum seekers in the United Kingdom to provide education and support to them. This is part of the commitment by the UAE to help reduce the discrimination between those seeking asylum in the UK participating in higher education that they are offering sanctuary scholarships to asylum seekers.
The successful applicants will receive:
- A full tuition fee support to study of any concept the choice of the University
- In addition to that, they will be awarded a bursary fee of £9,000 yearly. All of their expenses will be fully covered
- Applications are welcomed from any country in the world
- The applicants can be of any nationality
- Only asylum seekers are qualified to apply for this scholarship
Information on the next batch of applications will be available in January 2023. Within this period, intending applicants are advised to prepare all the necessary documents needed at the time of application.
In conclusion, there are many scholarships available for asylum seekers. If you are an intending applicant, do well to go through the criteria to ascertain whether you are eligible or not.
If you have any questions concerning any other scholarships, do well to drop them below.