Memorial University of Newfoundland: History, Alumni, Courses offered, Tuition

cover photo

Also known as Memorial University, The Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN) is a public research university, offering more 100 degree programs. It is one of Canada’s top teaching and research universities, ranking among the top 3% in the world.

Founded in 1925 as a memorial to Newfoundland’s war dead, Memorial University College was elevated to degree-granting status in 1949.

Address: St. John’s, NL, Canada
Undergraduate tuition and fees: Local tuition 2,550 CAD, Domestic tuition 3,330 CAD, International tuition 11,460 CAD (2018 – 19)
Chancellor: Earl Ludlow
Campus: Urban; St. John’s: 279 acres (113 ha); Grenfell: 185 acres (75 ha); Harlow: 25 acres (10 ha)
Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
President: Neil Bose
Undergraduates: 13,564
Students: 19,429
Former names: Memorial University College
Mascot: Sammy the Seahawk
Phone: +1 709-864-8000
Acceptance rate: 66.8% (2009)
Established: 1925; 98 years ago


Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN) is the only university in Newfoundland and Labrador. It was founded in 1925 as Memorial University College (MUC), a memorial to the Newfoundlanders who lost their lives in World War I. The college was originally located on Parade Street in St. John’s, but it moved to its current campus in 1949.

In 1949, Newfoundland joined Canada, and MUC became a constituent university of the University of Newfoundland. In 1961, the university was renamed Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Over the years, MUN has grown to become a comprehensive university offering over 100 degree programs. It has three campuses: the St. John’s campus, the Grenfell Campus in Corner Brook, and the Labrador campus in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

MUN is a research-intensive university with a strong focus on undergraduate education. It is also a major contributor to the economy of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Here is a brief timeline of the history of Memorial University of Newfoundland:

  • 1925: MUC is founded on Parade Street in St. John’s.
  • 1933: MUC merges with the Normal School and takes responsibility for teacher training.
  • 1949: Newfoundland joins Canada, and MUC becomes a constituent university of the University of Newfoundland.
  • 1961: The university is renamed Memorial University of Newfoundland.
  • 1969: The Grenfell campus is opened in Corner Brook.
  • 1974: The Labrador campus is opened in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.
  • 1997: MUN becomes a member of the U15 Group of Canadian research universities.
  • 2005: MUN celebrates its 80th anniversary.
  • 2015: MUN celebrates its 90th anniversary.

Today, Memorial University of Newfoundland is a thriving university with a bright future. It is committed to providing high-quality education and research, and to making a positive contribution to the people and economy of Newfoundland and Labrador.


These are just a few of the many notable alumni from Memorial University of Newfoundland. The university has a proud tradition of producing graduates who have gone on to make significant contributions to their communities and to the world.

Leave a Reply