The Western Governors University is an online institution committed to making tertiary education available to all and sundry. It thrives on providing education according to work force needs, making education both enjoyable and profitable to all who require it. WGU has 99% employer satisfaction rate for their graduates, making success possible for over 300,000 students each year. It is located at Millcock, Utah. It boasts of over 150,111 students and was accredited by the NWCCU.
Their strong points include:
Due to the rate of renouncement of tertiary education due to cost, WGU has made their tuition as affordable as possible.
With their competency based learning program, they put you “in the driver’s seat of your education”, in their words. In simple terms, they work with your skills and learning other than the time spent in a classroom. You progress as long as you are well versed with the material, and not every month, or semester. The more time you devote to schoolwork, the faster you graduate.
Scholarships are provided with ease, giving students even greater access to higher education.
At WGU, there is a set down course structure to accomodate your lifestyle. You will be connected to a mentor who will watch your progress.
HISTORY OF WESTERN GOVERNORS UNIVERSITY
Western Governors University (WGU) was founded in 1997 by 19 U.S. governors as a private, nonprofit, online university. The idea for WGU was first proposed by then-governor of Utah Mike Leavitt at a meeting of the Western Governors Association in 1995. The governors were concerned about the growing need for a college-educated workforce, and they believed that WGU could provide a new and innovative way to deliver higher education.
WGU’s founding principles were based on the idea of competency-based education. This means that students are not graded on their time in the classroom, but on their mastery of the material. Students work through a series of courses, and they are only promoted to the next course when they have demonstrated mastery of the previous material. This allows students to learn at their own pace and to focus on the areas where they need the most help.
WGU’s online format has made it possible for students to earn a degree from anywhere in the world. Students can access WGU’s courses and resources through the internet, and they can interact with their faculty mentors through phone, email, and video conferencing. This has made WGU a popular choice for working adults, military personnel, and other students who have busy schedules.
Since its founding, WGU has grown rapidly. In 2023, WGU has over 150,000 students enrolled in its programs. WGU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, and its degrees are recognized by employers around the world.
WGU is a leader in the field of online education, and it is constantly innovating to improve its offerings. In recent years, WGU has launched new programs in areas such as cybersecurity, data analytics, and healthcare. WGU is also working to expand its international reach.
WGU is committed to providing affordable, high-quality education to students from all backgrounds. The university’s tuition is significantly lower than the cost of traditional colleges and universities, and WGU offers a variety of financial aid options to help students pay for their education.
Here are some of the key milestones in WGU’s history:
- 1995: The idea for WGU is proposed by Mike Leavitt, governor of Utah.
- 1996: The Western Governors Association (WGA) approves the creation of WGU.
- 1997: WGU is founded and begins offering its first courses.
- 2000: WGU’s first graduates receive their degrees.
- 2004: WGU receives full accreditation from the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- 2008: WGU’s enrollment reaches 10,000 students.
- 2012: WGU’s enrollment reaches 50,000 students.
- 2016: WGU’s enrollment reaches 100,000 students.
- 2020: WGU’s enrollment reaches 150,000 students.
WGU is a growing and innovative university that is changing the way that people learn. The university’s focus on competency-based education and its online format have made it a popular choice for students from all over the world. WGU is poised to continue to grow and to make a significant impact on the future of higher education.
COURSES OFFERED AT WESTERN GOVERNORS UNIVERSITY
Western Governors University (WGU) offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in a variety of fields, including:
- Information Technology: WGU offers a variety of IT degrees, including Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Information Technology Management, and Master of Science in Data Analytics.
- Business: WGU offers a variety of business degrees, including Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Master of Business Administration, and Master of Science in Accounting.
- Education: WGU offers a variety of education degrees, including Bachelor of Science in Education, Master of Arts in Teaching, and Master of Education in Educational Leadership.
- Healthcare: WGU offers a variety of healthcare degrees, including Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master of Science in Nursing, and Master of Science in Healthcare Administration.
- Other: WGU also offers degrees in a variety of other fields, including Accounting, Cybersecurity, Human Resources, and Public Administration.
WGU’s courses are designed to be competency-based, which means that students progress through the program based on their mastery of the material, rather than on the number of credits they earn. This allows students to learn at their own pace and to focus on the areas where they need the most help.
WGU’s courses are delivered online, which means that students can access them from anywhere in the world. Students can interact with their faculty mentors through phone, email, and video conferencing.
WGU’s degree programs are accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). NWCCU is a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Here is a list of some of the most popular courses offered at WGU:
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Project+
- Amazon AWS Cloud Practitioner
- ITIL®*^ Foundation Certification
- PMI CAPM
- LPI Linux Essentials
- Principles of Accounting
- Business Law
- Introduction to Education
- Teaching Methods
- Curriculum Development
- Classroom Management
- Student Learning
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Nursing Process
- Health Assessment
- Nursing Care Plans
If you are interested in learning more about WGU’s courses, you can visit the university’s website or contact a admissions representative.
TUITION AT WESTERN GOVERNORS UNIVERSITY
Western Governors University (WGU) charges tuition at a flat rate per term, not per credit hour. The cost of a term depends on the program you are enrolled in.
Here is a breakdown of the tuition rates for WGU’s undergraduate and graduate programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology: $3,500 per term
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration: $3,500 per term
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing: $3,500 per term
- Other undergraduate programs: $3,500 per term
- Master of Science in Information Technology Management: $4,000 per term
- Master of Business Administration: $4,000 per term
- Master of Science in Accounting: $4,000 per term
- Other graduate programs: $4,000 per term
Please note that these are the base tuition rates. There may be additional fees, such as technology fees and student services fees.
WGU also offers a variety of financial aid options to help students pay for their education. These options include federal Pell Grants, federal student loans, and scholarships.
To learn more about WGU’s tuition rates and financial aid options, you can visit the university’s website or contact a admissions representative.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind about WGU’s tuition:
- The tuition rate is the same for all students, regardless of their financial aid status.
- The tuition rate is not prorated, so you will pay the same amount for a full term, even if you only complete part of the term.
- The tuition rate is subject to change, so it is important to check the university’s website for the most current information.
And that is all on Western Governors University, a pioneer in the field of online education, changing the way that people learn. The university’s innovative approach to education has made it a popular choice for students from all over the world. WGU is poised to continue to grow and to make a significant impact on the future of higher education. Thanks for reading!